One to Two Weeks Prior to Departure
- Divide and mark possessions into air shipment, sea shipment, personal baggage and storage.
- If you are doing your own packing (not recommended), get cartons and packing materials.
- Do not pack items in closed plastic (cleaner’s bags/plastic garment bags), especially shoes or other leather goods (this dries out leather). Corrugated paper, which is waxed, could also damage goods.
- Arrange for payment of the move. Unless arrangements have been made through your company, moving companies will want to be paid upon delivery.
- Reconfirm packing and moving dates with movers. If possible, arrange for storage load to be packed and picked up separately from shipment items to avoid mix-ups.
- Remove and replace any items you are not selling with the house such as light fixtures.
- Make arrangements necessary to assist movers (elevator, parking for moving van, etc.).
- Return all library books.
- Draw a floor plan of the new house and where furniture will be placed, so that you can direct the movers as they bring in the furniture.
- Arrange for disconnection of utilities and services such as:
- Gardener/Yard service
- Day care
- Home repair
- Garbage collection
- Cleaning service
- Electrical/Gas/Water service
Personal and Official
- Keep a contact file with information for movers, company contacts, friends, etc.
- Arrange to have current bank transfer funds and credit references to the bank you have chosen in your destination. Close out extra bank accounts, if appropriate.
- Obtain cash in foreign currency.
- Make a list of important numbers; credit card, car serial, bank account, traveler’s checks, camera serial, etc. Carry one copy with you and keep one copy in safety deposit box.
- Reconfirm travel arrangements. You might want to leave a day or two after the final moving day so that you have time to organize details and relax.
- Allow each child to pack a small carry-on bag with favorite toys, books, and snacks. Have each child pack an “Open Me First” box with special toys and favorite items.
- Collect all valuables and items for “Essentials Box” to be carried with you. Place them in a safe place or a safety deposit box until the day before departure.
- Collect receipts for expensive articles for customs entry (i.e. computers, cameras, jewelry).